Invent@SU helps develop undergraduate students into inventors and entrepreneurs as they design, prototype and pitch original devices.
Students learn about design, product development and intellectual property, then conceive an original invention, prototype the invention and refine it in response to weekly feedback from guest evaluators.
For 2023, the Program will run from Monday May 22nd to Friday June 30th on the Syracuse University Campus. Students will be placed in one of seven teams designed to encourage interdisciplinary collaboration.
The program is open to all Syracuse University undergraduate students who have not previously entered their invention idea in another business plan or entrepreneurship competition.
In addition to 3 teams being awarded cash prizes, students will receive:
- A $2,200 stipend
- A $1,000 budget per team for prototyping materials
- Guidance from engineering and design faculty, consultants and evaluators
- Access to laser cutters, 3D printers, a machine shop, and professional machinists
- Daily lunch, coffee, and snacks
Please note that participants will need to arrange their own housing. University housing may be available at the Summer Session 1 rate. (Contact the Office of Residence Life for information on University housing.)
During Week 6 of the program, teams will present virtually before a final judging panel of accomplished Syracuse University alumni and entrepreneurs. All prizes will be equally split among team members.
First place – $1500
Second place – $900
Third Place – $600
Past Participant Accomplishments
- 2019 EMPowered to Serve $50,000 First Place Award
- 2019 Panasci Business Plan Competition Winners (MedUX)
- 2019 Syracuse ACC Inventure Prize (MedUX)
- 2018 New York State Department of Health Aging Innovation Challenge (Pneu-Strength)
- 2018 Impact Prize Winners (MedUX, Prioritage)
- 2018 SU ACC InVenture Prize Winners (In-Spire)
- 2018 RvD iPrize Winners (In-Spire, Fibrefree)
- 2018 Panasci Business Plan Competition Winners (In-Spire)
- 2018 New York Business Plan Competition Winners (In-Spire, Fibrefree)
- 2017 International James Dyson Finalists (Fibrefree)
- 2017 Impact Prize Winners (In-Spire, Fibrefree)
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply?
You can apply right here – https://invent.syr.edu/apply/
Do I need to have an idea before applying?
No – the Invent@SU faculty can work with you and your teammates on developing ideas for usable and feasible inventions.
Can I continue work on an invention that I have already came up with, a project created for another competition or a project from a class?
No. Invent@SU is an invention accelerator for original ideas that have not been previously pitched, entered into an entrepreneurship competition or developed for a class.
Are there resources on campus that can help me after I finish Invent@SU?
Yes – the Blackstone Launchpad at Bird Library has worked with several Invent@SU teams on business plans and entrepreneurship competitions.
Is food provided?
Yes! Lunch and snacks are provided each day. If you have specific dietary needs, just let us know.
When will I receive my stipend?
Stipends are send out shortly after the program ends.
Do I have to pay taxes on a stipend?
Stipends are considered income by the IRS.
Do I have to sign a photo/video release to participate in Invent@SU?
Yes. All Invent@SU participants have to sign a standard Syracuse University photo/ video release. We will be taking photos and videos of your team as you develop your project and will help you put together a one minute video pitch.
Can I have another job or miss some days?
No. Six weeks goes quickly so you need to attend every day.